By Debra (dd) Heinsohn, Liscensed Esthetician since 1981
I practice and have always believed in finding real solutions to skin care needs that will accumulate in a healthy skin. Over the years there have been fads that bring me new challenges. It happens because people desire better, clearer, softer, healthier skin. They try products and services that do not deliver.
Here are just a few tips that will deliver healthier, clearer, better skin.
1.Open your drawers and cabinets. If you have 8 different products from 6 different companies, you have a problem. You want healthy, holistic, and yet you are mixing chemicals. You have no REAL idea of what you are mixing together. Find someone who only uses one botanical line from a cosmeceutical company. Why? A cosmeceutical company makes their own ingredients, raw to finish. Over the counter products buy ingredients on an open market. You get what you get, and you have no idea what you are getting.
- Clean those make up brushes weekly with a LIQUID soap like, dove. Air dry. Keeping 2 sets of makeup brushes is an excellent idea. If not, you are putting bacteria on your skin from the buildup of oils from your skin.
- Use Broad Spectrum SPF for full protection. If your sunscreen is not white when you place it on your skin, you are using chemicals. Zinc is a natural ingredient that is white. You warm the product in your hands and on the skin and the white will disappear.
- Clean your pillow cases or flip them. But do not sleep in your body soil and elimination. At night cellular respiration occurs and our body is dumping waste. You will notice this in your mirror in the morning. You look when you awake and you think you look terrible. Your body is dehydrated. Clean pillow cases and proper products will make a difference and slow the aging process.
- Products are only part of the answer. Your body is eliminating more cells with every year that passes. Keeping up is key to a healthy, soft skin. A good esthetician can help with enzymes, mild acids (for bacterial issues), and microdermabrasion. (This is a mechanical exfoliation that can be mild, but is incredibly effective when combined with other exfoliation methods.)
- Energy, is another incredibly holistic opportunity to deal with skin concerns or aging. LED light therapy can turn on different signals in the brain, create cell to cell communication, stimulate cell growth, or take free radical oxygen cells and turn them into H2O at a cellular rate creating a softer appearance in the skin while slowing the aging process. Controlled electrical devices can stimulate cell growth or exercise muscles, reduce bruising, or introduce vital minerals to the skin to combat dehydration at a deeper level than any home product.
- When you see beautiful skin, that does not mean their secret is right for you. Do you have their genetics? Lifestyle? Etc.…. Do not experiment and waste your money and find yourself with a drawer or shelf of half empty products. A guru is fine but an expert is better.
Remember, your skin will be the choices you make. So make informed choices.